Friday, October 30, 2020

YOU CAN’T KEEP GOD ON A SHELF


YOU CAN’T KEEP GOD ON A SHELF

How many of us remember the “elf on a shelf”?  He was supposed to be watching, in this case, the children to see if they were naughty or nice.  Do you think that the elf stayed there very long before someone either stole, trashed, or covered it up so that the “all-seeing elf” could not see what they were doing?

I think that it is the same with God.  Do we put Him on a shelf?  Is He only there when we want to use Him to answer our prayers?  Do we compartmentalize God to the extent that we rush to go to Church, put our “time” in and then almost run over somebody to get out of the church parking lot?  Actually I know someone who actually got a ticket in a church parking lot for driving too fast!!

Do we forget about God the minute that we leave the church parking lot?  Are we thinking about the game we are going to watch that day and keep looking at our watch?  

Putting God on the shelf, in my opinion, means that He is really not a part of our lives. We put Him “on the shelf” after church services, after other services.  We put Him on the shelf when we go about our activities during the day when we do what we want to do not really focusing on God’s will. 

It is so easy because of our human nature to not include God.  The truth of the matter is that God is always with us even when we turn away from Him by our own actions or our sins.  He is always reaching out to us.  He desires to have a personal relationship with us.

The following is called A Letter from a Friend”:

I just had to write to tell you how much I love you and care for you.  Yesterday I saw you walking and laughing with your friends; I hoped that soon you’d want Me to walk along with you, too.  So, I painted you a sunset to close your day and whispered a cool breeze to refresh you.  I waited---you never called---I just kept on loving you.

As I watched you fall asleep last night, I wanted so much to touch you.  I spilled moonlight onto your face---trickling down your cheeks as so many tears have.  You didn’t even think of Me.  I wanted so much to comfort you.

The next day I exploded a brilliant sunrise into glorious morning for you.  But you woke up late and rushed off---you didn’t even notice.  My sky became cloudy and My tears were the rain.

I love you, oh, if you’d listen.  I really love you.  I try to say it in the quiet of the green meadows and in the blue sky.  The wind whispers My love throughout the treetops and spills it into the vibrant colors of all the flowers.  I shout it to you in the thunder of the great waterfalls and compose love songs for birds to sing for you.  I warm you with the clothing of My sunshine and perfume the air with nature’s sweet scent.  My love for you is deeper than any ocean and greater than any need in your heart.  If you’d only realize how I care.

My Father sends His love.  I want you to meet Him---He cares, too.  Fathers are just that way.  So, please, call on Me soon.  No matter how long it takes, I’ll wait---because I love you.

Your Friend,
JESUS


Brother Lawrence, who was a 17th century lay brother who lived in France during the Thirty Years War in which he had fought.  The following are a series of quotes from Brother Lawrence:

The time of business does not differ with me from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were on my knees. 

He does not ask much of us, merely a thought of Him from time to time, a little act of adoration, sometimes to ask for His grace, sometimes to offer Him your sufferings, at other times to thank Him for the graces, past and present, He has bestowed on you, in the midst of your troubles to take solace in Him as often as you can. Lift up your heart to Him during your meals and in company; the least little remembrance will always be the most pleasing to Him. One need not cry out very loudly; He is nearer to us than we think.

There's no greater lifestyle and no greater happiness than that of having a continual conversation with God.

It is possible for us to live in the very sense of the Lord's presence, under even the most difficult circumstances. If you and I are going to enjoy the peace of paradise during this life we must become accustomed to a familiar, humble, and very affectionate conversation with the Lord Jesus.

The world appears very little to a soul that contemplates the greatness of God.

Loving God and loving one's neighbor are really the same thing.


Don’t keep God on the shelf.  Carry Him wherever you are, whatever you are doing and He will fill you with His presence as Brother Lawrence invited Him to every area of his life.  Doing so, you will find true peace because it is His peace that He offers us each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

                                                   DAYS OF DARKNESS INTO LIGHT April 17, 2024     Marcella Ward THIS NATION WILL BE PL...