Wednesday, October 6, 2021

                                                        

                                                             WHAT IS YOUR YES?

The Parable of the Two Sons

 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’

 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.   “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.   “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”

“The first,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.  Matthew 21:28-32 NIV

The first son was very willing to comply and in my opinion, he said yes because he wanted to impress his father.  The other automatically said no and in my opinion probably thought it over and even though he did not want to go to work, he did it because of his love for his father.

That happens many times in our lives.  I can remember the time when I was asked to do something at a church I was attending and I seemed to be the only one being asked and I was growing tired of being the only other person available but I always said yes.  I remember the Lord reminding me of the parable of the two sons and even though reluctant, I said yes.

I also remember my father saying yes to the needs of his family when he left El Paso because of no prospects of finding a job and moved with his wife and four children to Arizona trusting in God to provide. God came through because someone from the Customs Agency in Nogales, Arizona, came looking for him and he received the best job he ever had and he retired from that agency many years later.

 The Rich and the Kingdom of God

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”  “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” “Which ones?” he inquired.  Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother, and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.  Matthew 19:16-22 NIV

I have often wondered what would have happened to this man if he had said “yes” to Jesus. How dramatically would his life have changed?  Would he have become a disciple winning many, many people to Christ?  At that instant, his turning away from the Lord’s invitation, could have made a tremendous impact on his life but that, we will never know.

What about Mary, the Mother of Jesus?  What about her yes?   “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.  Luke 1:38 NIV   What would have happened if she had said, “no”? 

What about the greatest yes since the beginning of time?   For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants.  For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.  Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:16-18

What about each individual apostle who said yes to the call of Jesus?  Did Jesus call the perfect?  No, be He equips the called.

What about Peter’s yes?  Did he say yes right away?  No, he denied Jesus three times but later  repented and Jesus restored Peter by anointing and appointing him to lead the flock.  

Abraham said yes when God told him to leave his land. The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.  Genesis 12:1 NIV   Moses said yes when God asked him to go back to Egypt and lead God’s people into the Promised Land.  So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.” Exodus 3:10 NIV Ruth said yes to follow her mother-in-law Naomi.   But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:6 NIV

Esther was given a choice to save the Jews from annihilation.  For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”

 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai:  “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”  Esther 4:14-16

Saul and all the Israelites were afraid of Goliath but David said “yes” to defeating the giant.   David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head.  I Samuel 17:45-46 NIV

Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Corrie ten Boom, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and many modern day heroes answered the call to say “yes” to freedom and their God-given rights.

Every “yes” has a ripple effect.  What is your yes?  Yes, I will follow the Word of God.  Yes, I will stand for Christ.  Yes, I will walk in the Spirit of God.  Yes, I will seek the truth at all times.  Yes, I will stand for freedom and my rights that were given to me by my Creator. 

WHAT IS YOUR YES?

If your “yes” is a prayer for Salvation or you want to recommit your life to Jesus, pray this prayer.

Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank You for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Now, help me to live for You the rest of my life.
In the name of Jesus, I pray.
Amen
. (Learn Religions, Mary Fairchild, July 31, 2019)

 Marcella Ward October 6, 2021

 

 

                                                      





No comments:

Post a Comment

                                      CHURCH ARISE October 30, 2019 I had a dream today about being in a p...