Friday, July 24, 2020

THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT


                                 THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

What is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?
When Jesus was with the Apostles, He told them that the Holy Spirit was with them but that later He would be within them.  What did Jesus mean by this?  He was talking about Pentecost when the Holy Spirit would come into that upper room in the form of a mighty rushing wind and tongues resembling fire would appear above each of the 120 gathered there.  They began speaking in different languages (tongues), as the Spirit gave them.  Other Jews who had gathered in Jerusalem for Pentecost began to hear their native language being spoken and wondered what had happened.  Peter raised his voice and began to proclaim what had happened and proclaim the Word of God and around 3,000 souls were converted that very day.  From that time on, the Apostles were not afraid because the Holy Spirit had given them power to go forth in the Name of Jesus.

How is this different than water Baptism?  It is different because water Baptism is part of salvation.  John the Baptist talked about the Baptism of fire.   Matthew  3:11 it says, “I indeed baptize you in water because of repentance.  But He Who is coming after me is mightier than I, Whose sandals I am not worthy or fit to take off or carry; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.”

Jesus told Nicodemus that being born again is to be born of the water and the Spirit.  He also compared the Holy Spirit Baptism with the wind.  Jesus also spoke of the Holy Spirit as living water.  John 4:14, it says, “But whoever takes a drink of the water that I will give him shall never, no never, be thirsty any more.  But the water that I will give him shall become a spring of water welling up (flowing, bubbling) (continually) within him unto eternal life.”

When you receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit you become immersed in Him.  He is not just with you but in you in a powerful way just like the Apostles.  The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a whole new way of thinking and perceiving.  It is a new perspective on life and how we live our lives led by the Holy Spirit.

Many Christians who have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit have experienced great blessing and comfort.  As a result, they have received a renewed dedication and appreciation for God; a stronger desire to read the Bible, a stronger desire to fellowship with other Christians, and a deeper sense of worship of God. 

When I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, I received it at home and it was a very powerful experience for me.  I was in my early twenties.  After this experience, I had a great hunger to read the Bible and a hunger to seek more of God.  It has been a life long journey experiencing the power of the Holy Spirit within me and being able to pray in tongues and receive some of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit to edify and strengthen my spiritual walk as well as using these gifts to minister to other people.

Peter the Apostle, who had denied Jesus three times was no longer afraid after the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.  He as well as all the others were no longer afraid to proclaim the Gospel and even die for the cause.

Acts 1:4-5, “And while in their company and eating with them, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem but to wait for what the Father had promised, Of which you have  heard Me speak.  For John baptized with water, but not many days from now you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

WHAT DOES THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT DO FOR YOU?

You speak to God. 
I Corinthians 14:2, “For one who speaks in an (unknown tongues speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the (Holy) Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things.

You are edified or charged up spiritually.
I Corinthians 14:14, “For if I pray in an (unknown) tongue, my spirit (by the Holy Spirit within me) prays, but my mind is unproductive (it bears no fruit and helps nobody).

You put on the armor of God.
Ephesians 6:17-18, “And take the helmet of salvation and the sword that the Spirit wields, which is the Word of God.  Pray at all times on every occasion, in every season in the Spirit with all (manner of) prayer and entreaty.  To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints.”

When you don’t know how to pray for a particular situation.
Romans 8:26-27, “So too the (Holy) Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer  nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance. And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the (Holy) Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes and pleads (before God) in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God’s will.”

You may be used in the gifts of the Holy Spirit in the Church or in a ministry.
We may be used to help the Body of Christ in either a ministry or in your day to day life experiences.  These gifts are given for a purpose.  They are not for just edifying yourself but there are to be used for the Body of Christ. 

When I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, I was at home and it was a very powerful experience for me.  After this experience, I had a great hunger to read the Bible and a hunger to seek more of God.  It has been a life long journey experiencing the power of the Holy Spirit within me and being able to pray in tongues and receive some of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit to minister to others.

HOW DO I RECEIVE THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
1. You must be a born again Christian. Acts 2:38
2. It is administered by Jesus.  Luke 3:16
3. The baptism in the Holy Spirit is a gift received by faith.  Galatians 3:14
4.  We receive by asking.  I John 5:14, 15

 To receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, pray this prayer:
“Heavenly Father, at this moment I come to You.  I thank You that Jesus saved me.  I pray that the Holy Spirit might come upon me, Lord Jesus, baptize me now in the Holy Spirit.  I receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit right now by faith in Your Word.  May the anointing, the glory, and the power of God come upon me and into my life right now.  May I be empowered for service from this day forward.  Thank You, Lord Jesus, for baptizing me in Your Holy Spirit.  Amen.”  The Christian Broadcasting Network 2019 CBN.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

                                                   DAYS OF DARKNESS INTO LIGHT April 17, 2024     Marcella Ward THIS NATION WILL BE PL...