During the time that the Jews were being sent to concentration camps, the train could be heard while church services were being held. These trains carried Jews to their deaths. What did the churches do in many cases? They covered up the sound of the trains by “singing louder.” The churches failed to speak up when they could have. One brave soul, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who was a German double agent, who rescued Jews to escape Nazi oppression, was executed because of this.
Corrie ten Boom also risked her life as well as her families by hiding Jews and was even thrown into a concentration camp herself but was eventually released. One man, one woman and countless others who risked their very lives and some who lost their lives were willing to stand up for what is right. How many of us would do this?
- Waives its freedom of speech.
- Waives its freedom of religion.
- Waives its right to influence legislators and the legislation they craft.
- Waives its constitutionally guaranteed rights.
- Is no longer free to speak to the vital issues of the day.
- Becomes controlled by a spirit of fear that if it doesn’t toe the line with the IRS it will lose its tax-exempt status.
- Becomes a State-Church.