Wednesday, August 26, 2020

FORGIVENESS

                                                                       FORGIVENESS

What does it mean to forgive?  In Matthew Chapter 18:21-22 it says, “Then Peter came up to Him (Jesus) and said, Lord, how many times may my brother sin against me and I forgive him and let it go?  (As many as) up to seven times?   Jesus answered him, I tell you, not up to seven times, but seventy times seven!”  (Everyday Amp. Bible)

Then Jesus told them a parable:  Matthew 18:23-35

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’ 

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”  (NIV)

The servant was not merciful with his own fellow servant.  He received mercy but did not grant the same mercy to someone else. 

When the disciples asked Jesus how to pray, Jesus said in Matthew 6:9-13 Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.  10 Your kingdom come.  Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.  11 Give us this day our daily bread.  12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.  13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.  For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.”  (NKJV)

 God the Father knew that it was so important, that He embedded it in the Our Father!

14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.  Matthew 6:14-15 (NKJV) Why should God forgive us if we cannot even forgive someone else who has wronged us? 

When we do not forgive, we harbor resentment and it can actually make us sick.  Have you heard the old saying, “Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to get sick.”  Resentment and bitterness can actually make us sick. 

Corrie ten Boom, who was a Christian in Germany during the Holocaust, was instrumental in protecting Jews and as a result went to a prison camp for a while.  In her own words she said, “My name is Corrie ten Boom and I am a murderer.”  She went on to say, “You see, when I was in prison camp I saw the same guard day in and day out.   He was the one who mocked and sneered at us when we were stripped naked and taken into the showers.  He spat on us in contempt, and I hated him.  I hated him with every fiber of my being.  And Jesus says when you hate someone you are guilty of Murder.”  (I John 3:15)

“When we were freed, I left Germany vowing never to return, but I was invited back there to speak.  I didn’t want to go but I felt the Lord nudging me to.  Very reluctantly I went.  My first talk was on forgiveness.  Suddenly as I was speaking. I saw to my horror, that same prison guard sitting in the audience.  There was no way that he would have recognized me.  But I could never forget his face, never.  It was clear to me from the radiant look on his face while I spoke, that he had been converted since I saw him last.  After I finished speaking he came up and said with a beaming smile, ‘Ah, dear sister Corrie, isn’t it wonderful how God forgives?’  And he extended his hand for me to shake.

“All I felt as I looked at him was hate.  I said to the Lord silently, “There is nothing in me that could ever love that man.  I hate him for what he did to me and to my family.  But you tell us that we are to love our enemies.  That’s impossible for me, but nothing is impossible for You.  So if You expect me to love this man it’s going to have to come from You, because all I feel is hate.”

She went on to say that at that moment she felt nudged to do only one thing: “Put out your hand, Corrie,” the Lord seemed to say.  Then she said, “It took all of the years that I had quietly obeyed God in obscurity to do the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  I put out my hand.  Then, she said something remarkable happened.  It was only after my simple act of obedience that I felt something almost like warm oil was being poured over me.  And with it came the unmistakable message: ‘Well done, Corrie.  That’s how my children behave.’  (Hope Has It’s Reasons/Julie Kemp)

How about the parable of the Prodigal Son?  The son thought he was not worthy of forgiveness but his father loved him unconditionally and forgave him. There are countless modern day examples of forgiveness such as John Paul II who was shot and almost killed and as a result suffered great agony until he died.  He went to visit the person who shot him in prison and publicly forgave him and prayed for him.  I’m sure there continue to be many others who have forgiven others for unspeakable things done to them.  It is really God, through the Holy Spirit, that is able to supernaturally forgive.  It is not by our power but God through the Holy Spirit giving us the strength to forgive.

Forgiveness is an action.  Corrie was obedient to the Lord’s leading and stretched out her hand to her enemy and as a result, she received healing from the hate that she had harbored in her heart for so many years.

A friend of mine, Fr. Jeff, told me that it was hard for him to forgive his father but when he thought about the hurt he would pray for him and that helped him to heal from the hurt.  Remember that Jesus said to pray for those who hurt us.

27 “But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. Luke 6:27-28 (NKJV)

How many of us have carried a burden of unforgiveness for too long?  It is time to come before the Lord if you have any unforgiveness in your heart towards anyone and lay it at the foot of the cross for Jesus to heal your wounded heart.  Let’s pray a prayer of forgiveness together.  When I pause, speak the name of the person/s.

A PRAYER FOR FORGIVING:

Father, thank You for Your mercy and grace toward me, and for forgiving my sins through Your Son’s death on the cross.  Thank You that You forgive me over and over, for repeated sins and for new sins, big or small.  I am so grateful for Your grace.  Lord, I need to forgive ____________, who has wronged me, hurt me, betrayed me, offended me, and sinned against me.  It is hard for me to do this—I am still hurt, angry, confused.  So I come asking You for the power to forgive _________.  Fill me with Your Spirit and remind me of Your love and mercy to me---and to ____________.  By Your Spirit, I choose to forgive ______________.  I choose to extend grace and mercy to him/her, even as You have done for me.  I choose, as You enable me, to live at peace with this person.  I ask that You bless_____ in Your love.  Please may we be reconciled and our relationship healed.  And if that does not happen, may I continue to love and forgive.  Thank you that this is possible in the power of the Your Spirit.  In Jesus’ name.” (A Prayer for Forgiving/Judy Douglass)

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

                                                   DAYS OF DARKNESS INTO LIGHT April 17, 2024     Marcella Ward THIS NATION WILL BE PL...