Wednesday, September 8, 2021

                                                            THE “UPSIDE DOWN” GOSPEL

 

 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’  Acts 20:35 NIV

Science supports the benefits of giving.

“For example, research by social psychologist Liz Dunn and her colleagues appearing in the journal Science shows that people's sense of happiness is greater when they spend relatively more on others than on themselves.

In one survey of over 600 U.S. citizens, Dunn and colleagues found that spending money on others predicted greater happiness whereas spending money on oneself did not, and this pattern was found across all income levels. In other words, even those with little money reported greater happiness when their proportion of spending on others, relative to the self, was greater.

In a more controlled experiment, Dunn and colleagues gave students at the University of British Columbia an envelope containing money and told them that they either (1) had to spend the money on themselves before 5 p.m. that day or (2) had to spend the money on someone else before 5 p.m. Those who gifted for others were happier than those who gifted for themselves.

In some cases, there were 5 dollars in the envelope and in other cases there were 20 dollars. The amount didn't matter — the results were the same. Spending on others made people happier than spending on themselves. Ironically, when asked to predict which outcome would make one happier (i.e., spending on oneself or spending on others), another group of students at the same university thought spending on themselves would make them happier than spending on others.”

(Giving Really Is Better than Receiving Does giving to others (compared to oneself) promote happiness? Posted December 25, 2010  Allen R. McConnell, Ph.D.)

But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.  Luke 6:27-28 NIV

Corrie ten Boom, author of The Hiding Place, writes about forgiving a guard at the concentration camp where her sister died.  The following is an excerpt:

But since that time,” he went on, “I have become a Christian. I know that God has forgiven me for the cruel things I did there, but I would like to hear it from your lips as well. Fräulein”–again the hand came out–“will you forgive me?”

And I stood there–I whose sins had every day to be forgiven–and could not. Betsie had died in that place–could he erase her slow terrible death simply for the asking?

It could not have been many seconds that he stood there, hand held out, but to me it seemed hours as I wrestled with the most difficult thing I had ever had to do.

For I had to do it–I knew that. The message that God forgives has a prior condition: that we forgive those who have injured us. “If you do not forgive men their trespasses,” Jesus says, “neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.”

I knew it not only as a commandment of God, but as a daily experience. Since the end of the war I had had a home in Holland for victims of Nazi brutality.

 Those who were able to forgive their former enemies were able also to return to the outside world and rebuild their lives, no matter what the physical scars. Those who nursed their bitterness remained invalids. It was as simple and as horrible as that.

And still I stood there with the coldness clutching my heart. But forgiveness is not an emotion–I knew that too. Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.

“Jesus, help me!” I prayed silently. “I can lift my hand. I can do that much. You supply the feeling.”

And so woodenly, mechanically, I thrust my hand into the one stretched out to me. And as I did, an incredible thing took place. The current started in my shoulder, raced down my arm, sprang into our joined hands. And then this healing warmth seemed to flood my whole being, bringing tears to my eyes.

“I forgive you, brother!” I cried. “With all my heart!” (Guideposts Classics: Corrie ten Boom on Forgiveness by Posted in

“They say that unforgiveness is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.  In fact, unforgiveness can actually make you ill. 

“Unforgiveness is classified in medical books as a disease. According to Dr. Steven Standiford, chief of surgery at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, refusing to forgive makes people sick and keeps them that way.

With that in mind, forgiveness therapy is now being used to help treat diseases, such as cancer.

"It's important to treat emotional wounds or disorders because they really can hinder someone's reactions to the treatments, even someone's willingness to pursue treatment," Standiford explained.  (The Deadly Consequences of Unforgiveness 06-22-2015 Lorie Johnson CBN)

For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, you your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.  Matthew 6:14-15 NIV

Prayer for Rest for My Soul
Righteous Savior, I praise You for the peace You have provided me as I face the challenge of forgiving the wrong done to me. I marvel at Your goodness and take heart that You have overcome the world. I find rest for my soul in You, and ask that You forgive my transgressor, as I am in the process of forgiving him/her. Wash away his/her sins and comfort him/her in his/her sorrow. Thank You, Lord, for blessing this difficult task of forgiveness with a serenity that can only come from You. Amen.  (10 Powerful Prayers for the Forgiveness of Others  Apr 28, 2021 by Editor in Chief Connect Us)

The “upside down” Gospel is the antithesis of the world in which we live.  Be a light in a dark world.  Pray for your enemies.  Forgive those that have hurt you.  Give and you will receive.  I wonder if maybe this is the healing balm that we truly need during this time of chaos in the world as well as in our own lives.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

                                                   DAYS OF DARKNESS INTO LIGHT April 17, 2024     Marcella Ward THIS NATION WILL BE PL...